BHS apparatus
Robert Bruce Compton
1999-03-09 23:14:13 UTC
I have a question regarding the explanation of the apparatus in BHS. On
page L in the editio minor, the editors explain the use of the parenthesis
by the Latin phrase "secundum rem." I have tried looking this up in Latin
dictionarys and the sense appears to be either "according to the reading"
or "secondary reading." In the UBS text for the Greek NT, a parenthesis
signifies that a particular version supports a reading "generally," that
is, "with minor differences." Can the Latin in BHS be made to say this or
does the parenthesis in BHS signify something different?

Bruce Compton
Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary
Camille Bessette
1999-03-11 10:12:45 UTC
Bruce Compton wrote:
<I have a question regarding the explanation of the apparatus in BHS. On
<page L in the editio minor, the editors explain the use of the parenthesis
<by the Latin phrase "secundum rem."

The parenthesis have 4 meanings:
-abbreviated presentation of differing forms / Isaiah 1:27
-citation of the edition quoted / 1S 21:9
-versio secundum rem i.e. versio that offers the reading according to the
matter, though not literally / Isaiah 50:11
-explanatory note / Ps 145:13

My source for all the above : the very useful *Understanding BHS: a manual
for the users of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia* by Reinhard Wonnerber,
Rome: Biblical Institute Press, 1984.

Regards
Camille Bessette
Carmel de Lisieux / France
Bryan Rocine
1999-03-11 03:31:27 UTC
Robert Bruce Compton
1999-03-12 16:30:34 UTC
Thanks to Camille Bessette, Bryan Rocine, and Arian Verheij (off-list) for
responding to my question regarding the apparatus in BHS and the Latin
phrase "secundum rem." I subsequently located an explanation in Reinhard
Wonneberger's /Understanding BHS/, as Camille kindly noted as well.

Robert Bruce Compton