[b-hebrew] Language of the Midians
Oun Kwon
2006-06-28 16:12:45 UTC
Moses lived among the Midians. I like to know what language the
Midians were using?

Thanks,

Oun.
Yigal Levin
2006-06-28 17:31:20 UTC
Dear Oun,

The Midianites are absolutely unknown except from the Bible. We're not even
sure where they lived. We certainly have no way of knowing their language.
We can guess that they were Arabs, and spoke an Arabic dialect, but even
that's just a guess.

Yigal
2006-06-28 19:19:20 UTC
Ben Crick
2006-06-28 18:58:58 UTC
Post by Oun Kwon
Moses lived among the Midians. I like to know what language the
Midians were using?
The Midianites appear to be a subset of the Ishmaelites (Genesis 37:25-28,36;
Judges 8:24) so their languages would not be dissimilar from one another.
It did not stop Moses communicating easily with Jethro and Zipporah (Exodus
2:15-22). Jethro's other name was Reuel (Exodus 2:18), or "friend of God".
He was the "'eL" -priest of Midian.

Midian was a younger son of Abraham and Keturah, whom he married after the
death of Sarah (Genesis 25:2); and therefore a half-brother of Ishmael.

Shalom
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF ZFC Ta
<***@NOSPAM.argonet.co.uk>
114GB HD, CD-RW, etc. *Ethernet networking.
Oun Kwon
2006-06-29 07:43:43 UTC
My question began when I tried to understand apparently Moses' speech
problem in Exodus. Obviously being the Prince of Egypt, he must be
eloquent. Somehow after 40 years among the Midians, it may not be
easy to recover long un-used Egyptian tongue. Even talking with the
Israelites, his Hebrew must be a joke (Egyptian tongue + 40 years of
Midian tongue). Midian tongue may be related to other near Eastern
languages, but it must be not same as Egyptian and not same as Hebrew,
but I wonder whether there is some description about it.

Oun.
In a message dated 6/28/2006 11:13:07 AM Central Daylight Time,
Moses lived among the Midians. I like to know what language the
Midians were using?
Thanks,
Oun.
I would suspect Jethro Reuel spoke Egyptian, and so did Moses. Moses was
highly educated in Egyptian after all he was being groomed as a prince of
Egypt.
Doug.
Rev. Doug Pickrel, Litt.D.
Tejas Valley
San Antonio, Texas
In a message dated 6/28/2006 11:13:07 AM Central Daylight Time,
Moses lived among the Midians. I like to know what language the
Midians were using?
Thanks,
Oun.
I would suspect Jethro Reuel spoke Egyptian, and so did Moses. Moses was
highly educated in Egyptian after all he was being groomed as a prince of
Egypt.
<clipped>